Principal Investigator & Chief Engineer
Dr Fırat Güder is a reader (US equivalent professor) in Intelligent Interfaces in the Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College London. Prior to his appointment at Imperial, he was a research fellow in the group of Prof. George M. Whitesides at Harvard University in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology. He has a PhD in Microsytems Engineering (summa cum laude) from the University of Freiburg, Germany, and a BSc in Computer Engineering (First Division) from the University of New Brunswick (UNB), Canada.
Over the years, his achievements have been recognized through numerous awards and recognitions including (but not limited to)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- One of Ten Outstanding Young Persons of the World by Junior Chamber International
- President’s Award for Excellence in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- ACS Sensors “Rising Star in Sensing”
- President’s Medal for Excellence in Research for Outstanding Early Career Researcher
- Tom West Analytical Fellowship
- German Research Foundation International Fellowship
- KU Leuven International Scholarship
- Furtwangen University MTM Scholarship
- UNB Class of 1939 Scholarship
- N. Myles Brown Scholarship
- Governor Thomas Carleton Scholarship
- UNB Alumni Achievement Award
Firat and his research group work in the intersection of material science, electronics, computing, biology and chemistry to develop intelligent interfaces to connect complex chemical and biological systems with computers. The overall aim of his research is to develop impactful technologies to address pressing, global challenges related to animal and human health, food systems and environment.
In addition to his peer-reviewed papers, he is an inventor of multiple (licensed) patents and cofounded four startups based on his own research including Unhindr Ltd, Spyras Ltd (acquired), BlakBear Ltd and AniML Ltd. His research at Imperial is sponsored by the Wellcome Trust, EPSRC, BBSRC, GE Healthcare, The Royal Society, Analytical Chemistry Trust Fund, Innovate UK, US Army, European Institute of Innovation & Technology, Gates Foundation and others.